Mike Calinoff spots for 2003 Cup Champion Matt Kenseth. Calinoff owns Active8, a media relations company that works with drivers to get their name out there, and to promote them to future owners/sponsors.
Ashley McCubbin: How many years have you been spotting?
Mike Calinoff: I have been spotting at a NASCAR level since 1996.
AM: What do you think makes a good spotter? Any certain requirements/recommendations?
MC: I think the ability to predict certain scenarios is key. A lot has to do with knowing whom you're racing around. Having good eyesight really helps!
AM: Best and worst tracks for spotting at?
MC: I like just about every track on the circuit, with the exception of Pocono and Phoenix. I don't like tracks that start with "P"... I'm just kidding about that... Both of those tracks have spotters stands that make it difficult to get a full view of the racing
AM: What do you think of the criticisms that spotters get immediately when it comes to incidents?
MC: It really depends who's saying it. If it's coming from a driver then I think it's usually valid. If it comes from a crew member who can only see the frontstrech or the media, I give the criticism less value.
AM: How do you get along with the other spotters?
MC: Really well. We all understand that we're not driving the cars and that makes it a lot easier.
AM: What's the hardest part about your job?
MC: Well, being away from home is pretty tough—but it's part of it. I guess standing out in the hot sun for 500 miles is what I like least about the job.
AM: During the race, in general, what is your job?
MC: My job is to give as much information as possible to help the driver make decisions; and, of course, keep him safe.
AM: When it comes to pit stops, what does your job entail?
MC: Basically I will remind the driver of his pit road speed and let him know when he is ten stalls away from our pit stall.
AM: If you have worked with different drivers, what are some certain things that one driver prefers over another?
MC: Some drivers like more talk and some like less. That's pretty much it.
AM: What do you do if you ever have to go to the bathroom in the middle of a race?
MC: Why does everyone always ask that question!? I try not to drink too much during the race. I typically chew a lot of gum.
AM: What do you do before the race, food/drink wise, to prepare?
MC: I've been on a diet so I have been eating very light!
No comments:
Post a Comment